Thursday, March 6, 2008

New Shoes

So I'm a shoe / apparel whore.  Being a runner and a diabetic, shoes are VERY important.  I have found a shoe the Adidas Adistar Control 5 that works very well for me.  I have been on a mission to find another shoe to rotate in with the Adistar Control.  I can think of about 10 different shoes that I have tried, and I think I've finally found the answer.  Tonight I ran in the Nike Air Equalon +2, the ride was very cushioned, and my feet felt great.  I have noticed after just a few miles in the other shoes a discomfort in different areas of my feet.  One thing I did notice in the Air Equalon was a tightness in my groin and achilles after the run.  I did extra stretching after the run, but this is something I'll have to monitor before I decide to keep these shoes or not.  
Along with me being a shoe / apparel whore, I'm kind of the same with technology.  What I'm getting at is I'm a very big fan of the Medtronic Continuous Glucose Monitor and the Garmin 305.  The CGM assists me so much on my runs, but make no mistake about it, you still have to check your blood sugars with a finger-stick because it is not exact.  My blood sugar to start the run was 114, with that I took 3 shot bloks.  After 4.5 miles I checked my blood sugar and it was 121, I then took 3 more shot bloks and set out for another 4.5.  About 2 miles in I looked down at the CGM (138) so I took 3 more bloks.  When I finished I did a fingerstick and ckecked out at 118.  
If anyone has any ideas on the sore achilles and groin please help.  As for now I'm chalking it up to soreness from the cold weather.  

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hey,
I ran across your website from either DiabeticRunners.com or the Sixforme blog. I'm a runner as well and am training for a half marathon this summer. I've been on the MiniMed pumps for the past 8 years and started on the CGMS a few weeks ago. Any advice for dealing with lows during exericse? I test a lot and eat glucose tabs and high protein granola bars when working out. I've tried a temp basal but shoot up after exercise because of it. Let me know if you have any good advice and check out my blog - www.thirstylikethetree.blogspot.com
Thanks!
Kate

rdn5cents said...

Hi Kate, Good to hear someone is reading my blog. I strongly feel that EVERYONE is different, but I'll tell you what works best for me. I do not like adjusting my basal, I've actually found that consuming carbohydrates during the run (about 24g every 3 miles) works best for me. I also try to consume about 30g carb at the beginning of my run. I have played around with a lot of different "carbs", and the Cliff Shot Bloks work great for me.

rdn5cents said...
This comment has been removed by the author.