Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Balancing Carbs and Boluses(pre, during, and post), with Running

Jamie over at Diabetic Runner touched recently on bolusing post run.  Tonight, I ran 9 miles.  Before my run I tested my BS and it read 105, so as I always do before a run, I ate a Protein Bar with 31g Carbs.  At about mile mile 5, my CGMS read 94 so I ate 3 Cliff Shot Bloks.  From this point on my CGMS showed readings between 94 and 130, and when I got home I checked my BS and it read 127.  At this point I bolused 2 Units, and then ate dinner which was about 40g Carbs. This is a tricky scenario, that can sometimes be a tough juggling act.  I do think it's important to eat something that is low in fat as high fat foods can cause more problems (for me).

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Hey Ryan, quick question... is 2U of insulin what you would normally give to cover 40g of carbs, or is it a bit more to cover a post run bump up in your BG? I.E., if you weren't going to eat dinner, would you have bolused anything?

rdn5cents said...

I did bolus for my dinner that I ate shortly after my run, but I waited about 30 minutes after I ate to see how my BS reacted to the food. It started to creep up a little so I bolused. The 2U that I bolused was just an educated guess, for what I thought I needed. I knew I needed the carbs before my run, when I got down to 94 I knew I needed more carbs. My correction factor is 1U for 50 points, which I need to test b/c I thik it may be off a little

Jamie said...

I guess what I'm asking is, what is your carb ratio... how many carbs does 1U of insulin cover?

rdn5cents said...

In the morning it is 1:11, at lunch it's 1:9, and at dinner it's 1:10. I THINK! :)