Monday, April 28, 2008

Technology Review

I received my new Garmin 405 via UPS Next Day Air on Thursday.  I have used the Garmin 305 for over a year now, and other than the bulkiness, I really like it.  The 405 is going to take a little time to get used to, and I think I'm really going to like it.  First, I'll give you the positives: The most obvious improvement is the size of the watch, you no longer look like you have a microwave oven strapped to your wrist.  Second, the touch bezel makes it much easier to navigate through the menus, which is VERY nice.  Because of the touch bezel, it makes it much easier to go from screen to screen, all you have to do is touch the bezel and it will jump to the next screen.  On each screen you can view up to 3 different "statistics", and you can set up 4 of these screens.   Another major improvement is the start /stop and lap / reset functions are now like a stop watch.  On the previous model I often hit the wrong button and didn't record all of m run.  
The only real negative I have with the watch will probably come with using it.  It's the sensitivity of the bezel.  As much as I stated that I like the bezel, it can also cause some problems.  You may be deep into one menu, then you accidentally touch the bezel and it takes you out of that menu and into another.  The only other complaint I have is the software is not Mac compatible yet, though Garmin is working on it.  I have trouble settling on specific screens, so if anyone has any recommendations for good things to watch while you're running, I'd love to hear.  
On the Diabetes front, I just received the good news that my sensors for my CGMS will now be covered by my insurance. If you haven't pushed you Doctor to write you a letter of medical necessity, I would recommend it.  I have been paying for these out of pocket for a year and half, it's not till I called Medtronic to see what they could do, they called my Doc, and within a few weeks they gave me the good news.  

5 comments:

Jamie said...

SAWEET! I'm so jealous... Im totally Jones-ing for a 405! (thinking of ways to "accidentally" break my 305 so I can convince my wife I NEED to replace it...)

AND, insurance coverage... double bonus... I see my Dr. tomorrow, and I'll be sure to bring it up, but I'm pretty sure she'll deny me, since it's Kaiser, and they are the Dr.s and insurers...

Can't wait to read a review when you get the 405, and test it out.

rdn5cents said...

Jamie, I think you might have misunderstood me. I did get the 405 last Thursday, and I partially reviewed it. Overall- I love it. I'm going to update my blog this evening with more detail as to my likes and dislikes.

Jamie said...

Yep, my bad... I missed the "d" on received, and thought you were highlighting the benefits of the 405. Now that I re-read it, it makes sense to me. Excellent, and as you spend more time with it, I look forward to reading (more carefully this time) about your likes and dislikes... also, I'm making a little progress on my workout data/CGMS data software, and would love it if you could test the 405 with it when it's ready... I'll keep you posted.

rdn5cents said...

Definitely! Please keep me in the loop.

Brett said...

Great review. I can totally see that bumping the bezel thing. I have the 305 and I don't think I will switch because of that reason.

But for those who don't like the 305, this should be a great alternative.