Monday, September 8, 2008

5 weeks out

I completed my second 20 miler this past weekend.  I ran it by myself, because the group I typically run with was only doing 13.  It went ok.  I wasn't thinking and didn't eat anything before the run, I think this is what caused my stomach problems around mile 13.  These persisted for the next 7 miles.  
I'm feeling pretty good about my training, I did have some stiffness in my quad's and hamstrings during my run on Saturday.  I'm hoping that my new purchase will help alleviate this tightness.  Steve over at Phedippidations turned me onto this, and after using it one time, I really think I'm going to like it.  There are 3 different tools that you use to "manipulate" the muscles in your leg, this "manipulation" helps keep the elasticity in the muscles.  This benefits every muscle in the body, and I'm looking for it to pay huge dividends in my training.  
This past week I logged my biggest week ever, a grand total of 45.76 miles.  All systems are GO!
I think I'll have a really good idea of where I stand after Thursday's 10 x 800m Yasso workout.  
Did I mention, I think I'm getting a puppy?  I put a deposit down on a Chocolate Goldendoodle.  I'll post pics as soon as I have them.   

3 comments:

CewTwo said...

It is a good thing, isn't it?

I did a 20 miler last saturday also. I tend to run all of the long runs alone. Gives me solace.

I also think it is fairly normal to experience muscle aches and pains! Look at what you've just accomplished! What a guy!

How can you think of runnin 20 without food first? I had a bowl of oatmeal, a banana, and a shot of goo before I left the house. I did more goo at every four miles and at 12 miles, I choked down a power bar.

Still at around mile 19 I got tight jaws and felt like tossing my cookies. A little water (I was about to have some gatorade) and I felt better. Or... Should I say that I made it back to home! I immediately felt better then!

Sounds like your training is going great!

I look forward to the Chicago Marathon, as well! I do hope that we get to meet up!

CewTwo said...

Getting pumped yet, Ryan?

I sure am. Listen. I'll send you my cell phone number about a week before Chicago so we can meet up!

I do realize that I will only see your backside in the actual event, but you never know...

Charlie (cewtwo)

rdn5cents said...

You bet I'm excited! That sounds EXCELLENT! You can shoot me an email anytime at rdn5cents@me.com. STAY HEALTHY!