Thursday, January 31, 2008

Starting Out

I've been wanting to do this for months. So, Here it goes.  
As I have time, I'm going to chronicle my life with diabetes, and how I have begun taking better care of myself.  Diabetes has changed my life in so many ways, as has running.  Hopefully in a couple of weeks, maybe months, I'll be up to present day.
I was diagnosed with diabetes in September of 1999.  Initially I thought I was dying, when I found out it was "just" diabetes, I was relieved.  If diabetes is not taken seriously, it can be a very debilitating disease.  I'm a Type 1 diabetic, meaning I'm insulin dependent (my body no longer produces insulin).  Most diabetics in the world are Type 2, which means their bodies resist the insulin that their bodies create.
I often tell people that I feel that me contracting diabetes has been a blessing.  Having to deal with the complexities of this disease has caused me to take better care of myself, and I think it will allow me to live a longer life.  

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Awesome that you are doing this - I look forward to reading about your life as a diabetic runner!

And... Welcome to the DR1K Challenge!

rdn5cents said...

Thanks Jamie, I've been reading your blog since Steve mentioned you on Pheddipidations. Sorry for keeping quiet. Do you have any recommendations on where I can learn more about blogging?

Jamie said...

Not to sound totally vain, but do you know when he mentioned me? I listen to him periodically and missed it.

THX!

fuzzy said...

Good luck with the blog R'yn.