Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Race Report

In preparation for the Philadelphia Marathon I raced in the Columbus Half Marathon this past weekend. Coming into the weekend my Half PR was 1:35:28, my goal was anything better than this, but I kind of had 1:32:30 as a number I'd like to hit.

I got up at 4:30am to get "ready" for the race. I ate my pre-race PB&J, then drove down to the Arena District at around 6am to park the car near the finish. The start is very close to the Columbus Convention Center which is very convenient. I was able to stay warm in the Hyatt until about 7am. I then checked my BG 120 and ate my pre-race protein bar, and promptly started my warmup of approximately 1.5 miles.

I arrived in my corral at about 7:20 for perfect timing. I was able to get a couple of quick strides in, in front of the corral. Soon after the start I was a bit surprised to see a 3:05 pacer, but then quickly realized that is the new BQ time necessary for men younger than 35 years old. Mile 1 was 7:09, Mile 2 was 7:01, and the pace didn't feel comfortable, at this point was staying a little ahead of the pacer but felt too much pressure of the pacer and pack being on my butt. So around mile 3 I decided to fall behind them. Mile 3 was 7:03. It was somewhere around Mile 4 (7:15 ) that I started to settle into the pace. Mile 5 was 6:59, 6 @ 6:49, 7 was 7:14, 8 @ 7:01, 9 @ 6:49, I kept reminding myself to stay in the mile and not think about the end, but I was feeling pretty confident. Mile 10 was a little labored hence the 7:10 time, but I knew it would pass and at mile 11 I decided I'd push the pace. Which I did and clocked a 6:50. I was a little surprised by my mile12 pace 7:03 ( I thought it would be faster), and 13 was 6:53. I saw the clock was counting down to 1:32 and went into an all out sprint. The last tenth was about 31 seconds. I finished in 1:31:47 and I felt great at the finish.

If you would have told me a 2 years ago that I had this time in me, I'd have called you crazy. Now I'm thinking I have a sub 1:30 in me.

My BG when I got back to the car was 120, perfect!

I can't wait to run in the Beat the Pumpkin 5k in Cincinnati this Saturday. This is when I go for my first sub 20 5k. I now have the confidence that I can break through that mark.

Keep Running!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You nailed that buddy! And sub 20 will be a snap -- I'm guessing 19:15-19:20.

M

Anonymous said...


LEARN MORE ABOUT DIABETES