Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In a Groove

Things are starting to really fall in line for my training.  With the help of Dr. Todd Elwert, and my "coach"  Luke Humphrey, and last but not least the wonderful Dr. Miguel Parilo, I can see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Dr. Elwert as provided me with many new methods of stretching in order to get these hamstrings of mine "unstrung".  3 weeks ago, my hamstrings were extremely tight.  Last night on my 2 x 3 mile, other than being extremely tired, I barely noticed my hamstrings.  As for my coach, I've come a long, long way in the last year, and there's no way I could have done it without him.  I can't talk about my success running without mentioning Dr. Parilo and his team, it is Paramount to my success to have his involvement.  With each new week I'm setting new personal records for distance.  With this, I have had to constantly tweak my basal rates, constantly lowering with the increase in miles.  
This weekend I will get a chance to see where I stand as I'm running the Heart Mini Marathon, this will mark my 5th Heart Mini.  I plan to PR, and I'm hoping to set the tone for a great Flying Pig.

4 comments:

dawnurse said...

Hi! My name is Dawn. I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1994 and on the pump since '95. I just started running again in the last few weeks and my friends convinced me to join their team for the Chicago Marathon this year. (I live in Chicago.) I have absolutely NO CLUE how to control my glucose and run. So tonight on my web search about this I came across your blog. Yay! :) Hoping to glean some good advise and encouragement from your posts.

Unknown said...

Hi. Great that you are sharing about your diabetes/running. I'm also looking for some advise. I'm 46. I've been type 1 since 1995 and been on pump since 2001. I started running competitively again, post diabetes just last year. Ran some 5k, 10k, and one 1/2 marathon. I always have a problem of the pre-race adrenaline raising my blood sugars (275+). Any ideas on how to stop or control that? Makes for a bad start to a race and a sub-par time. Also not on continuous monitor, so have to stop and check sugar every drink stop on 1/2 marathons. How does your continuous monitor work for you?

rdn5cents said...

Sorry I haven't commented. I feel kind of weird giving out advice on how to handle diabetes and running. First off, Dawn stick with it! You'll have some frustrations with basal rates. I tend to notice that every 10 mile I increase requires a basal decrease(ie. going from 30 to 40 miles in a week). You may even have to lower your ratio of carbs to insulin.

Steve, If your always having prerace adrenaline high's I'd experience with increasing your basal rate a couple of hours before your race. Maybe by 10 or 15% 2-3 hours before the race...As for the CGMS, it works like a charm, I typically do not even test during a race ( though this is not the intended use of the CGMS ). You learn if/when you can trust the readings it is giving you.

Unknown said...

You shouldn't feel weird about giving out advice. That is what I'm looking for. What other diabetics have experienced and how they handled things like this. I thought about uping my basal pre-race or just taking a bolus. But the thought of taking extra insulin before a race always concerned me. But since I can't seem to calm the pre-race butterflies, I'll try either the extra basal or a shot of bolus before the race. It's either that or calm myself down (easier said than done - I always liked the pre-race butterflies before diabetes...).