Monday, August 11, 2008

Near Tragedy...Not Really "Tragedy"..but I was pretty bummed.

Saturday, the stars seemed to be aligned.  I was doing my longest run (16 miles) since training for the Marine Corps Marathon last year, and the temp was about58 F when I was to start my run at 6:30.  Well, because my  blood sugar was too high, I delayed my start till 8, which turned into 8:30, because I couldn't get my sh!t together.  
Still, at 8:30 it was EXTREMELY comfortable for any time of the year, let alone the "Dog Days" of August.  So, it started out well, felt great.  At about the the 3 mile mark I felt "something" in the top of my right foot, it was a dull pain, but it caught my attention.  It came and went, lasted about 30 seconds.  At about the 7 mile mark it reared it's head again, then at the 11 mile mark was the last time.  I have 4 close friends who have had stress fractures in the last 4 months.  I convinced myself that I had one.  I called Amanda, and she came to pick me up.  So, being me, I went to the 2 running stores in Cincinnati and talked to about 4 or 5 different experienced runners.  The prevailing theme was that I should take off the rest of Saturday, and Sunday.  Most were pretty noncommittal but a few thought that it was just a sock or lacing issue.
This morning I called my Podiatrist first thing, and they got me in at 8:45.  First thing he said was that it doesn't sound like a Stress Fracture, I breathed a sigh of relief, but still wasn't convinced.  The X-Rays confirmed what the Doc had told me, it was a small bone spur that he said could eventually become an issue, but I should be fine for a good while.  
 So tonight, with a little trepidation, I went out for a 5 mile run.  I felt AWESOME.  Great feeling, I'm very relieved.  
Charlie, Erika, I'm happy to say I'll still be seeing you in the Windy City!

2 comments:

CewTwo said...

Amazing what we can convince ourselves of!

I am so glad that you are OK!

A bone spur is still not a pleasant thing, but it looks like you can handle it!

rdn5cents said...

I think the Doc saw something miniscule on the X-ray and told me a bone spur. Since the "incident" I have had zero issues and felt excellent.