Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year

With the help of ESG, I have some "resolutions" for 2009 in the running and diabetes categories.
- 2009 miles in 2009
- Sub 3:20 marathon on my way to qualifying for Boston in 2010
- Sub 20 minute 5k
- keep my A1C close to or under 6.0
- Become more disciplined in my eating
I am now finishing up week 3 of my 20 week training plan for the Flying Pig Marathon.  So far, things have been pretty easy, this week will be the first week with any remotely difficult runs.  Where I will have a 3 mile temp at 7:35 pace.  These are the runs that challenge me most.  If this were a 5k race, the 7:35 pace would be a piece of cake, but because it's just a training run, it's a b!tch!  This is what I need to improve to reach Boston, I'll do it!

4 comments:

bogie said...

I am a first time marathon trainier. I am in my 3rd week of training for the flying pig as well. I have type II diabetes. prior to this training my typical runs have been 5 to 6 miles 3 to 4 times a week. As I increase my milage as part of the marathon training I am curious as to how best to monitor my glucose. Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Do you check your glucose while you are running?

Do you adjust meds before running?

What do you carry with you and how often do you take it during your runs?

rdn5cents said...

Hi Bogie, First off, Good for you! You are taking control of your diabetes and not letting it control you.

The big thing for me is to know where I start my run. If I start at a BG reading of 75, I need to eat more than I would if I'm at 135. I am on the CGMS, so I monitor my sugars as I'm running. On runs of 12 miles or more I bring my meter along and check a few times during the run.

As for fueling during the run, I use Clif Shot Bloks. These work SOOOO much better the the GU, or any other gels. I hope this helps!

rdn5cents said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rdn5cents said...
This comment has been removed by the author.