Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Training Programs

I bit the bullet and decided to buy one of Greg McMillan's personal training program.  I bought the 20 week program, and I will start my training for the Chicago Marathon on this coming monday, Memorial Day.  My overall health is pretty good, definitely better than I felt going in to training last year for the Marine Corps Marathon.  I'm changing my training up a bit this year.  Last year I used a modified version of the FIRST method, where I only ran 3 times a week and complemented that with 2 days of cross training.  I expect to be running 5 days a week and logging approximately 15 - 20 miles more a week.  It's exciting to get started towards a new goal!

10 comments:

CewTwo said...

Ok, Ryan, I'm following your progress. I am working on a Hal Higdon plan for my run at Chicago.

Please keep us posted!

peter said...

Interesting blog, and you're a fast runner. Good luck at Chicago. (I spent a coupla minutes at least in the potty at MP 6 at the Flying Pig too. The one on the hill. Maybe it was the Cincinnati food!)

rdn5cents said...

Peter and Charlie, Thanks for checking things out! I'm kind of dreading the heat that is coming, but I've always heard, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!

rdn5cents said...

Peter, Did you run the full or half?? How'd you like the PIg?

CewTwo said...

Ryan, I'm tracking other runners that are doing Chicago. I linked to you (and I hope you don't mind).

I also included you in a recent post.

You might want to check out "Whats a Few Miles Among Friends?" @ http://runningmates.blogspot.com/ as we are tracking runners there, too. I'd love to include your blog header in a shirt we're designing for the Chicago Marathon!

L8R, Good luck with your training!

rdn5cents said...

Absolutely Charlie, thanks for the information!

CewTwo said...

So... Have you started? How goes it so far?

Steve Stenzel said...

Good luck with the new program!! I just used the FIRST program, and I like it, but I know it's not for everyone. My sister-in-law uses it too, and she's just ACHING for a nice, easy 5 miler.

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Ryan - always great to see another diabetic running site!

Just picked up my 405 last night... I'll post a mini-review later today after I give it a whirl, but I think you're right: I'm liking it a lot so far!

CewTwo said...

Training update necessary!

Let us know how it is going!

Getting hot (and muggy this morning) in Denver! I am on schedule, though!